Are shoes the cause of asthma and allergies?
f***@shoebusters.com
2003-12-10 04:11:55 UTC
Greetings everyone!

During the last several years I have had the opportunity to carefully
observe and study a number of diseases that occur in the United States
population, but less often or not at all in other countries. After
much persistence, I finally "stumbled" onto a significant discovery
concerning our habitual use of footwear since birth, a seemingly
irrelevant topic because almost everyone in the United States
considers shoes to be harmless. Nonetheless, please keep an open mind
to the possibility that scientists and doctors (even the smartest
Nobel Prize winners) have all overlooked something common as the cause
of widespread disease during the last two hundred years.

Chiropodist Dr. Simon J. Wikler first proposed in the early 1950's
that shoes are a cause of degenerative disease in humans because of
the inherent changes to our posture and gait. I believe that his
novel idea was the tip of a gigantic iceberg, and I have expanded his
discoveries to include many diseases with "no known cause", including
seemingly-unrelated conditions such as heart disease, cancer,
depression, obesity, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, asthma,
osteoporosis and even Alzheimer's disease to name but a few. You may
find the complete text and pictures of my explanation, including my
thoughts on a possible "cure" and prevention for these conditions, at
my aptly-named website:

http://www.shoebusters.com

As everyone on this newsgroup knows by now, the cause of asthma is
completely unknown, even to today's best doctors. It seems to me that
we may be standing right on top of the answer: shoes. Asthma was rare
or nonexistent in the United States prior to the Industrial
Revolution, which mass-produced the modern shoe in the mid 1800's.
Even today, asthma is rare or nonexistent in countries that use little
footwear, such as Africa. Dr. Wikler believed that the habitual use
of shoes causes dramatic changes to the respiratory system, making it
vulnerable to allergens that normally would have little or no effect
on the body.

Asthma has been affecting many younger ages than in the past, and I
believe that the modern sneaker accounts for this change. Have you
ever tried to bend a modern toddler's sneaker in half? But the feet
of children need to move around for full development of their feet and
body, taking 20,000 steps a day as kids. Modern sneakers are
literally platform shoes, many times with an elevated heel, and they
weigh a lot more than a simple leather shoe. In my opinion, a person
should be able to permanently relieve asthma by "removing the cause."
If shoes are indeed the cause, then switching to soft-soled moccasins,
applying postural correction and going barefoot as much as possible,
should produce beneficial results.

I am extremely interested in all discussion concerning these ideas,
and welcome any opinions, skepticism, comments, feedback or any
questions, here in the newsgroups or directly to me. Thank you very
much. :-)
ARoberts
2003-12-10 06:02:23 UTC
Post by f***@shoebusters.com
As everyone on this newsgroup knows by now, the cause of asthma is
completely unknown, even to today's best doctors. It seems to me that
we may be standing right on top of the answer: shoes.
Well, that one certainly caught me flat-footed! As the sole proponent of
this idea, nobody could accuse you of being instep with a medical orthodoxy
(in fact, you probably will make arch-enemies of many pulmonologists).
Rather than just cobbling together a single disease model, you have
encompassed all disorders, and taken it in stride. I can now see the
connection between shoes and toe-main, and even knee-monia. All these
years, folks have been concerned about the increasing use of uppers, and
were focusing on the wrong kind. You must find some well-heeled venture
capitalist to fund further research into this--(perhaps at Oxford). Take
the step--I believe that you've nailed it.
GRW
2003-12-10 17:23:58 UTC
Make sure that any of your study partners are not loafers or you won't
get your work done quickly. Conversely, taking occasional breaks does
pump one's easy spirit. It's a great feeling to come to work and
stride rite into the office, ready for a busy day.

You mentioned lack of asthma in countries like Africa. What about the
American outdoors, like the timberlands? Do bass fishermen have
asthma, as a group?

Adequate research will help toenail this concept into the mainstream.
But without backing, it just stinks.
f***@shoebusters.com
2003-12-10 18:37:33 UTC
Post by ARoberts
Post by f***@shoebusters.com
As everyone on this newsgroup knows by now, the cause of asthma is
completely unknown, even to today's best doctors. It seems to me that
we may be standing right on top of the answer: shoes.
You must find some well-heeled venture
capitalist to fund further research into this--(perhaps at Oxford). Take
the step--I believe that you've nailed it.
Dear ARoberts,

Thanks for your post! Your words put a spring into my step. The
scientists have already collected sufficient data, in my opinion.
They seem to have tried all paths except for one: fitting the data to
the shoe. Dr. Wikler was the only one thinking outside of the shoebox
on this one.

Did you know that childhood leukemia rates suddenly jumped in 1984 and
1985, affecting boys in particular? Indeed, it seems that something
slam-dunked our children at that time, carrying out a full-court press
on teenagers and young adults ever since. Scientists went into
overtime analyzing cats, chemicals and power lines, but as every kid
who ever wanted to be like Mike knows, something else become popular
in society at precisely the same time.

I posted Dr. Wikler's shoe and disease theory to a dozen other
newsgroups, but it seems most people are having a difficult time
getting a toehold on it.

:)
Steve Freides
2003-12-10 13:48:53 UTC
Thickly cushioned shoes are a well known problem in running - they more than
mask the symptoms of a poor gait, they actually _require_ a bad gait. But
shoes must be taken in context - people who go barefoot generally do so on
unpaved surfaces.

I encourage everyone I know to spend some time barefoot around the house
every day and, if they've got the intestinal fortitude, to learn to run
barefoot - I'm able to run barefoot on macadam and concrete surfaces but you
must run in a very different way.

Anyone interested in how running shoes affect running should do a web search
on Austin Gontang - he's been associated with the San Diego Marathon for
years and has quite a few good articles on the Internet.

How that may or may not affect asthma I certainly do not know.

-S-
much. :-)
Colin Campbell
2003-12-10 16:24:19 UTC
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:48:53 -0500, "Steve Freides"
Post by Steve Freides
I encourage everyone I know to spend some time barefoot around the house
every day and, if they've got the intestinal fortitude, to learn to run
barefoot - I'm able to run barefoot on macadam and concrete surfaces but you
must run in a very different way.
If I were to run without the _proper_ running shoes I would be back
wearing a knee brace.

"...there is always a well-known solution to every
human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong."
H. L. Mencken
PENMART01
2003-12-10 17:52:22 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
I encourage everyone I know to spend some time barefoot around the house
every day and, if they've got the intestinal fortitude.
Intestinal forti-dude yer ass, yoose idjits is bantering Foot in Mouth disease.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````
Steve Freides
2003-12-11 01:50:15 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
I encourage everyone I know to spend some time barefoot around the house
every day and, if they've got the intestinal fortitude, to learn to run
barefoot - I'm able to run barefoot on macadam and concrete surfaces but you
must run in a very different way.
If I were to run without the _proper_ running shoes I would be back
wearing a knee brace.
I have no doubt that your statement is true as far as it goes but it doesn't
go far enough. Few and far between are the human being who cannot, for
anatomical reasons, run barefoot. Far more common are those who've spent
their entire lives in overly padded shoes with overly raised heels and
developed problems as a result. A proper running shoe is, for most people,
a better bandage than no bandage at all, but it is best to fix the cause of
the recurring wound than to continue to attempt only to stop the bleeding.
Proper running shoes, for the overwhelming majority of the population, serve
only to stop the bleeding.

Take a walk barefoot across a gravel parking lot and you will quickly learn
a lot about how a foot can contact the ground without sending shock waves
through the entire body. Run down to the corner in your bare feet on
asphalt and you'll learn the same lesson - it's a whole different way of
walking or running - shorter steps, feet landing underneath you instead of
in front of you, the ball of your foot striking the ground momentarily
before your heel, and a stride that lengthens to the rear instead of to the
front. It's a very different feeling.

As I said, Austin Gontang's articles are well worth reading. It's worth
noting that he is, or at least was, a regular on the newsgroup rec.running
and extremely generous with his time in answering questions on this subject.

-S-

f***@shoebusters.com
2003-12-11 00:54:38 UTC
But shoes must be taken in context - people who go barefoot generally do so on
unpaved surfaces.
Hi! Thanks for your comments. According to podiatrist Dr. William
Rossi, most shoeless children are raised on hard-packed streets or
cobble-stoned surfaces in Bombay, Manila, Mexico City, Calcutta,
Jakarta, and Bogota.

The surface does not need to be paved or unpaved. The foot is
entirely capable of adapting to the environment. It is the same
capability that leads to foot deformation from wearing a shoe: the
foot adapts to the shoe that is imposed upon it.

I believe that the body also must adapt to a shoe, and the lungs are
chronically compressed when wearing shoes. Such chronic compression
seems to make the organ more vulnerable to infection and disease such
as asthma and allergies.

Has anyone with asthma or allergies ever tried a pair of soft-soled
moccasins? What happened? What about postural correction? What
techniques were tried?
Bob
2003-12-10 15:07:39 UTC
Post by f***@shoebusters.com
I am extremely interested in all discussion concerning these ideas,
and welcome any opinions, skepticism, comments, feedback or any
questions, here in the newsgroups or directly to me. Thank you very
much. :-)
You may be over-stepping your bounds on this theory. While many shoes
are indeed deforming to the foot, and hence, altering postural
carriage and gait, it certainly is a reach to include the myriad of
diseases you listed (but forgot toe-lio, knee-sles and smallcox), as
being caused by wearing shoes. From a biomechanical viewpoint, it is
important for the foot to naturally splay out during the gait, and
degenerative problems in the lower extremities, low back, spine and
neck can occur when the natural functioning of the foot is impeded in
some way. More often, it is one foot that is the problem, over time
becoming flatter (pronated) than the other. This is easily
compensated for by a custom-fitted soft orthotic shoe insert, which
builds up the arch in the shoe, but does not restrict the normal
function of the foot. This reduces rotational strain on the knee and
helps to level the pelvis (a good thing).

I've not heard of any relationship of shoes to asthma, except perhaps
that the price of many shoes can certainly take your breath away...

In chiropractic school I had an anatomy instructor who said he used to
throw his female patients' shoes in the trash to make a point. Maybe
that's why he was teaching anatomy instead of practicing... People
typically don't appreciate that; especially women and their shoes!
Colin Campbell