Difference between Asthma and Bronchitis in Toddlers
v***@yahoo.com
2005-11-01 01:28:58 UTC
Hello All,

I have a two year old son who had three episodes of bronchitis within
last twelve months. In the nutshell, all three cases (March, June,
October of 2005) occurred after viral infections (he goes to child care
with 20 other kids - needles to say, he gets sick often). The doctor
prescribed Albuterol all three times and the problems would go away
after a week or so. On one occasion we eneded up in the ER since he
struggled for breath so much that we were afraid that he might be
seriously hurt (they put him on an alubterol inhalator).

So, during the latest visit (today) the doc said that he's concerned
that he might be developing Asthma which freaked us out (the parents).

It'd be great if someone can help me understand the likelihood of him
actually having Asthma. Also, is there a site that spells out the
difference between the two diseases (Asthma and Bronchitis)?

I'd appreciate any additional comment or advice.

Best,

Vasa

Subject: Difference between Asthma and Bronchitis in Toddlers
Richard Friedel
2005-11-01 08:30:55 UTC
Hi Vasa,

I'd guess that you are not getting optimum medical attention for your
son.
Internet advice cannot take the place of a proper medical examination
and consultation, but nevertheless here are a few things that spring to
mind.

In asthma there is a vicious circle: breathing gets faster and faster
and culminates in extreme respiratory distress. Modern research (Dr.
Gwen Skloot) holds that there is an inability to take a normal deep
breath, but this in my opinion can be overcome by physiotherapy, though
most people would disagree with me!

This is not so with bronchitis.

Asthma drugs such as Albuterol are prone to cause reflux (GERD) which
in turn causes/worsens asthma. Albuterol may cause rebound in as much
as the relief is accompanied by intervening episodes of breathlessness.
Although in skilful, professional hands Albuterol might be a good short
time solution to the problem, I'd want to steer clear of it
altogether, especially if only bronchitis has been diagnosed. Regards,
Richard Friedel
mcs
2005-11-01 09:23:04 UTC
Post by Richard Friedel
Hi Vasa,
I'd guess that you are not getting optimum medical attention for your
son.
Internet advice cannot take the place of a proper medical examination
and consultation, but nevertheless here are a few things that spring to
mind.
In asthma there is a vicious circle: breathing gets faster and faster
and culminates in extreme respiratory distress. Modern research (Dr.
Gwen Skloot) holds that there is an inability to take a normal deep
breath, but this in my opinion can be overcome by physiotherapy, though
most people would disagree with me!
YOU SURE GOT THAT RIGHT RICHARD . You realize richard ,I get asthma once
polluntants (verified by pollution charts) reach certain levels like
clockwork. All the controlled breathing of these polluntants I might
possibly make, will have no or little difference. All the clean air
machines I get makes little difference although If I was able to afford the
right hvac system in some building I think it can. The reason some people
are concerned with environment is because some people see the negative
effects people are getting because of the govt allowing so much polluntants
into our areas. To the original person who posted this thread, one in four
kids in some cities now have asthma. The main culprit is pollution, so I
would ask if you checked the quality of air where you lived or inside your
home or at daycare. Is daycare or home near allot of traffic? Is your home
in bad air city? The advantage of the net is you can now get your family
out of harms way if you can afford it and IF the quality of air is affecting
your families health and with asthma the biggest single cause of worsening
asthma is quality of air. The more research I do , the more I am convicned
the govt allows the poisoning of its citizens. I smoked for ten or fifteen
years and this made me more sensitive to quality of air but I can easily see
how kids whose young lungs might be more suspectible to outside
influnences can be negatively affected.
ARoberts
2005-11-01 10:09:25 UTC
Post by v***@yahoo.com
[...]
Here are some links that address childhood asthma and symptoms:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/asthmachildren.htm

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1308.html

http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/116/3/619

http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tphealth/0,,hf1k,00.html

Good luck.
00doc
2005-11-02 01:31:21 UTC
Post by v***@yahoo.com
[...]
Bronchitis is just an infection of the large airways in the lungs which is
usually caused by viruses and usually gets better on its own. Sometimes
wheezing is heard which can be improved with albuterol but for the most part
it just needs to run its course.

Diagnosing asthma in a young child is difficult. Many children will have
wheezing episodes with viral infections but about half of them will not
continue to wheeze when older. There are a few things that raise the risk of
later wheezing (which will be diagnosed as asthma) but the most suggestive
is a family history of asthma and allergies. What usually happens is that
the wheezing episodes go away by about 3 years old and then for the kids
that will have asthma they come back several years after that. Due to all
the uncertainty surrounding the younger kids most pediatricians will avoid
the term asthma and use "reactive airways" instead.

Here is some more information.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/asthma/uf4634.asp

Unfortunately, you have met some of the less reliable sources of information
on this group (Richard and mcs). Now all you need is Brad and merlin to
chime in and you will pretty much have the complete set.
00doc
Merlin
2005-11-02 05:13:35 UTC
Good Afternoon Vasa, The interesting thing with parents that associate
closely with their children, is that they know the child has a problem,
and they also know by intuition when any treatment is having no
assistive effect. Your post here indicates this to be true and quite
obviously you have no confidence in your son's treatment regimen.
You must remember that the medical profession you are dealing with till
only recently still insisted that smoking did not cause cancer so you
are wise seeking other opinions.
You obviously know your child has a depleted immune system and is
catching any and everything, and your description doesn't take a rocket
scientist to suggest an asthmatic event is more than likely.
In that your child is two years old and quite obviously has had an
increasingly manifesting problem for at least the past twelve months
you might look at the period prior to that to see what could have
created this condition.
If by any chance the child may have been premature, (to any degree) and
possibly short term breast-fed, possibly with an apparent generated
sniffly condition, reflux, eczema and general sickliness in the period
several weeks after being introduced to feeding formula, (most
especially if that formula was based on cowsmilk) and if at any time in
this early period the child was given antibiotics (just a weak
antibiotic should do the trick! maybe the banana flavoured stuff!) Then
you can virtually bet that was how the problem actually began. Usually
in these circumstances the child has had several courses of antibiotics
before they reach the age of two. Sickliness remains, recurring viral
kinds of things, catching everything!
If by any chance your child may fit in this category, please google
this man's name, "Gary Huffnagle" he is a scientist at Michigan and if
you learn anything about his work you will understand significantly
more than the people pushing drugs into your poor child.
So you have a "shipwreck", your child's future may well involve your
actions from here! The interesting thing here is that you know this to
be correct simply by your own intuition!
None of my seven children or my three grandchildren have any trace of
this problem, even though my history was chronic and my wife's
grandmother died from asthma, most other families have the problem
somewhere involving close family. Subject knowledge is essential!
This problem can be addressed, it takes time, care and absolute
understanding, until some semblance of normal health can be restored.
More than likely your child will have food sensitivities, most likely
involving cow products if the baby formula was cowsmilk based.
The poor childs resistive ability can be helped by careful diet and
probiotic supplements with careful nursing when they become well. If
you wish further discussion indicate affirmative.
This net site is inflated with pro-medication proponents who appear to
be a major part of this problem, not in anyway associated with
assisting or overcoming the problem.
Cheers, Merlin.
00doc
2005-11-03 01:22:16 UTC
Post by Merlin
You must remember that the medical profession you are dealing with till
only recently still insisted that smoking did not cause cancer so you
are wise seeking other opinions.
?!?!?! 50 or so years is recent? How old are you?
00doc
Merlin
2005-11-03 02:48:15 UTC
G'day 00, I am old enough to have witnessed ridiculous American medical
proffessional doctors declaring on film that "Smoking does not cause
cancer"!!
So much for the proffessionals in America!!
How long ago was that, maybe fifteen as far as I can recall!!
Credibily gap old chap!!
Even the antibiotic situation is going to be another major fiasco!
This child in this post here is a classic example!!
I do believe that many Americans are actually learning to question some
of their doctors directions there finally!
We have just had a case here where an absolute idiot American doctor
(surgeon) managed to get into a major hospital situation and it is
currently being determined if murder charges might be laid, the carnage
this chap has created is incredible.
Of course it appears that the authorities here were lax with checks,
but this fellow obviously was not the full dollar. So much for American
Medical People.
Some are supposed to have practices but are able to endlessly argue
ridiculous subjects even on this site.
In my book that is irresponsible, not representative of a proffessional
to the slightest degree.
I rest my case old chap!!
Cheers, Merlin.
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-03 03:00:50 UTC
Post by Merlin
[...]
You folks must be waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy behind, Merlin. Our
doctors have been talking about this since the 1960's.
Merlin
2005-11-03 04:40:10 UTC
G'day NSCEO absolutely, but the statements I am referring to were made
by company prostituted doctors and the rest of the medical rabble did
not contadict it! This was in the late eighties at least!
That was the situation!
We used to laugh about it every time it came on TV, usually in adds or
whatever, I think it was like reverse propaganda.
To the rest of the world it was a laughing stock!
It was accepted that these monkeys were spokespersons for the entire
American medical proffession. There was no resistance against them from
the US side as far as we knew, so that was accepted as an American
medical statement.
You might appreciate the credibility problem it generated for the
Americans. The cigarette lobby was virtually impossible to undemine
with this ridiculous front, which at the time had some credibility.
Legal challenges were beaten by this kind of evidence, people kept
dying believing these statements to be true.
So it is not that far back.
You might appreciate the barbed comment that 00 made in my direction,
so it is simply that ridiculous arrogance that I replied to.
I don't know how many people he has assisted to overcome their problems
with the asthmatic syndrome but I do not believe it would be very many,
especially using medication as a permanent method.
I have worked with a lot of families with this childs problem and been
very successful in having good outcomes, so you might appreciate his
comments were unhelpful and in fact possibly detrimental to the childs
future. I happen to find that irresponsible.
I saw no positive element in his post! But did see a sarcastic attempt
of discreditation. The reply was in kind!
Cheers, Merlin.
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-03 12:01:30 UTC
Post by Merlin
[...]
I'm sure Doc has helped many people, Merlin. It's his job. He
went to school for a long time, got his license, and is pretty
open minded to things like antibiotics and supplements that have
merit. The problem that I have with you and a few others who
have been known to trash our medical community, is that you live
in other countries and really don't know realistically what it's
like here. You believed some commercial put out by the tobacco
industry - a bunch of liars who will burn in hell if there is
one, and judged your opinion of the medical community here on
that one thing? Hardly enough exposure and experience to even
allow for ANY comment on our doctors. And when anyone in any
profession, whether they be lawyers or teachers or doctors, hear
some broad sweeping generalization about their profession,
they're going to react.

At least with doctors, we can look up online and see they're
legitimate, that they have no complaints filed against them, they
have no malpractice lawsuits. What are your credentials? You
seem to have a story for every situation ever posted, and to tell
the truth, it sounds as ridiculous as some paid shill with the
title of Doctor (who may not even be the kind of doctor they're
peddling him as) saying smoking cigarettes doesn't cause cancer.

No offense, of course.
00doc
2005-11-03 19:55:16 UTC
I'm sure Doc has helped many people, Merlin. It's his job. He went to
school for a long time, got his license, and is pretty open minded to
things like antibiotics and supplements that have merit.
Yeah, but the real problem, if you read his post, is that he is one of those
nutters that thinks asthma meds do more harm than good.
The problem that I have with you and a few others who have been known to
trash our medical community, is that you live in other countries and
really don't know realistically what it's like here. You believed some
commercial put out by the tobacco industry - a bunch of liars who will
burn in hell if there is one, and judged your opinion of the medical
community here on that one thing?
He is also confusing 1965 with 1985.
What are your credentials? You seem to have a story for every situation
ever posted, and to tell the truth, it sounds as ridiculous
He does seem rather messianic.
00doc
Bob
2005-11-03 14:51:21 UTC
Post by Merlin
I have worked with a lot of families with this childs problem and been
very successful in having good outcomes, so you might appreciate his
comments were unhelpful and in fact possibly detrimental to the childs
future. I happen to find that irresponsible.
No, irresponsible is when you have such skills and experience and you
have not shared it with the Australian Medical Association. Surely,
there must be doctors there who would jump to embrace your techniques,
especially if you have, as you say, such outstanding results. Have
you ever written up any of these cases, sumitted them to any of your
medical journals (through someone who you know who has medical
credentials)?

It seems that those who are not legally bound by medical ethics are
usually the ones who have all the answers.

Perhaps it's time to bring Merlin's powers to bear. Australia would
no doubt love to add another Nobel laureate to its quiver.

What do you say, old chap? Are you up to the challenge?
00doc
2005-11-03 19:59:45 UTC
Post by Bob
It seems that those who are not legally bound by medical ethics are
usually the ones who have all the answers.
Yeah, amazing how proof can be such a burden to such good therapies.

<Looking at left hand> Prove this works; become famous, wealthy, and
respected if not revered; and help millions of people.

<Looking at right hand> Just help a few people at a time (maybe) and
complain about the whole thing on Usenet.

Funny how many peopel seem to prefer the right hand.
Post by Bob
Perhaps it's time to bring Merlin's powers to bear. Australia would
no doubt love to add another Nobel laureate to its quiver.
What do you say, old chap? Are you up to the challenge?
Nah, you are neglecting the international medical cartel conspiracy to keep
everyone ill. Because you know if everyone lead healhier lives theyw ould
all never get sick (they would be immortal) and so drive all the docs out of
business.
00doc
Merlin
2005-11-04 02:40:38 UTC
G'day Bob, you are getting somewhat beyond reality old chap.
For your information removing a childs problem cause and following
commonsense practical methods works wonders.
What is wrong with you people, surely you can understand that removing
problems has bearing on the effect being caused by them.
You persist with denial!!
Cheers, Merlin
aroberts
2005-11-04 05:49:22 UTC
Post by Merlin
G'day Bob, you are getting somewhat beyond reality old chap.
For your information removing a childs problem cause and following
commonsense practical methods works wonders.
What is wrong with you people, surely you can understand that removing
problems has bearing on the effect being caused by them.
You persist with denial!!
Cheers, Merlin
The original poster wanted to know about differentiating bronchitis
from asthma. I thought that he would actually like to have that
question answered, and posted links that were pertinent. So did OOdoc.
Instead, mcs sees this as an opportunity to veer off to obsess about
his favorite and tiresome rant about pollution. No wonder he is held
in contempt. He isn't here to help anyone--just to have his daily
narcissistic indulgence in print. He needs to have his dose of
Zyprexa increased.
Bob
2005-11-04 14:22:36 UTC
Post by Merlin
G'day Bob, you are getting somewhat beyond reality old chap.
Am I? Funny, when one really wants to accomplish something, one finds
a way. Remember, we all have the ability to effect reality, given
enough passion and persistence. Certainly, this is not news to you.
Post by Merlin
For your information removing a childs problem cause and following
commonsense practical methods works wonders.
With all your experience, may I suggest that you develop a flow chart
of sorts, which will lead the parent through the variable
possibilities associated with what you have encountered. Produce
something Merlin. You're retired, full of life, and full
of...stories! Use them in your upcoming treatise! Possible titles
could include:

Merlin's Asthma Mysteries Revealed
The Wizard's Way to keep Atopy at Bay
Try the Wet Tee-Shirt...and open-nip your Airways
Merlin
2005-11-05 13:56:48 UTC
Wow, you people have really lost the plot haven't you!!!
There is no way I would let any of you behind me in a tight situaton,
that is for sure!!
As for the rantings of the riduculous doctor on this post and elswhere
on adjacent posts you have got worry that he is ready for to join your
"highly efficient" CIA!!
It seems he spends all his time ranting and raving on line!!
I do feel sorry for the poor child that was the original subject of
this post, whether you people are aware of it or not, that particular
problem is common and a flow chart most likely already exists.
To start with, these problems just don't happen, they are generated by
a sequence of events!
You need to cone out of your "Sumerian Darkness" and get a bit of field
experience.
You seem to miss that this site is "ALT" Asthma, surely you can
understand the poor father posting on this site had some reasoning!!
When people become more involved in ego trips rather than working to
address a problem, one must wonder!!
It is obvious you people are hoodwinked!!
I suppose it was only a yankee kid, but any child with that problem
deserves at least some help.
I have just spent a couple of days involved with an old mans problem,
goodness how long his carpets have been a problem but they most
definetly are gone now! They were actually to the point of fuming, his
medication had accellerated, years of suffering, no one told him!!
Just as well he didn't come to this site!!
Cheers, Merlin
ARoberts
2005-11-05 14:32:43 UTC
Post by Merlin
Wow, you people have really lost the plot haven't you!!!
There is no way I would let any of you behind me in a tight situaton,
that is for sure!!
As for the rantings of the riduculous doctor on this post and elswhere
on adjacent posts you have got worry that he is ready for to join your
"highly efficient" CIA!!
That is even more incomprehensible than usual.
Post by Merlin
It seems he spends all his time ranting and raving on line!!
Do you really want to compare his volume of posting to yours? Or its
pertinence?
Post by Merlin
I do feel sorry for the poor child that was the original subject of
this post, whether you people are aware of it or not, that particular
problem is common and a flow chart most likely already exists.
To start with, these problems just don't happen, they are generated by
a sequence of events!
No. Sometimes it just happens. It's genetics.
Post by Merlin
You need to cone out of your "Sumerian Darkness" and get a bit of field
experience.
You seem to miss that this site is "ALT" Asthma, surely you can
understand the poor father posting on this site had some reasoning!!
It is not "alt" to designate "alternative" medicine. You might try looking
up the history of usenet before saying something silly.
Post by Merlin
When people become more involved in ego trips rather than working to
address a problem, one must wonder!!
You mean like posting reams of irrelevant material about repairing airplanes
in the Far East? Or using the man's question as a springboard to rant about
the American medical system?
That's a pretty gratuitous statement, even for you.
00doc
2005-11-05 14:46:22 UTC
Post by Merlin
It seems he spends all his time ranting and raving on line!!
Do you really want to compare his volume of posting to yours? Or its
pertinence?
Oh, come on AR. He just got to one of my favorite bits. It is kind of like
the "You might be a redneck" comedy.

You might have just won the argument if...

.....they complain that you can't be a real doctor because you post too
much.

It ranks right up there with "you can't be a very good doctor" and "aren't
you neglecting your kids right now."

It is common. Sometimes I look at a powerliftng group (did I mention that I
am closing in on a 400 lb bench and 600 lb squat?) and the guys do the same
thing. Two of them will go back and forth a bit (and they have the same
tired arguments over and over there as well) and finally one will declare
that the other must not be all that strong because he spends all his time
posting and not lifting.

The wise just smile in the knowledge that it means you have gotten under
their skin and "they got nothin' " to come back at you with.
Post by ARoberts
Post by Merlin
You need to cone out of your "Sumerian Darkness" and get a bit of field
experience.
You seem to miss that this site is "ALT" Asthma, surely you can
understand the poor father posting on this site had some reasoning!!
It is not "alt" to designate "alternative" medicine. You might try
looking up the history of usenet before saying something silly.
Yeah, I liked that one too.
00doc
Bob
2005-11-05 15:53:02 UTC
(did I mention that I am closing in on a 400 lb bench and 600 lb squat?)
Dear 00hulk,

At some point, before you sustain a grade 3 tendon rupture, you might
consider using a lever...

Or rotate your workouts...wanna borrow my speedo?
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-05 15:22:46 UTC
Post by Merlin
[...]
All I did was to ask for some proof to back up all that you've
been posting - a very reasonable request. We know doc is a
doctor, but still wonder what engineering has to do with curing
thousands of people, as you claim you've done.

Your defensiveness speaks for itself.
Merlin
2005-11-05 23:31:54 UTC
G'day NSCEO, No offence intended, and I regret having to correct you,
but as usual you have distorted the fact with the inference that any
"curing" was achieved in any of my material especially with the
ridulous numbers you refer to. Did you actually attend a school?
I know you people have problems with comprehension, and obviously
believe you are the "super race" but simply no longer needing
medication has no inference of any "cure". Maybe in your case you have
the inference that you are "cured" but I would suspect that considering
your history you could easily regress given any minor illness or immune
depleting effect in an instant.
In that you have had your problems abate you might consider my
suggestion to really be careful.
I must say I would hate to see you actually intend to make offence!
I would advise you that my first foray into another asthmatics
circumstances happened in 1970 and I have been involved in this
exercise in varying degrees since. My appearance on the net was around
1990 and the exercise has been incredibly interesting.
Prior to 1970 I had personally tried every possible remedial method
without success.
Problem substance avoidance alone is no real help.
That is why I could not believe the method given to me had such
remarkable effect and also why being skeptical meant that other
instances needed to be evaluated.
My experience soon learned that this effect was reproduceable in a
majority of cases.
Many people using the technique with substantial benefit, thinking they
no longer had the problem, relaxed it's application but then often
reverted to their former state.
So I would put it to you that thirtyfive years of field observation in
this whole area has allowed reasonable opinions to form about these
kinds of problems.
I do feel that previous experience with methods that did not have any
benefit is also an additional twenty years at least.
So could you please understand that I have never mentioned "a cure",
simply a method to naturally allow some healing effect.
You are a mischievous little devil aren't you?
With young children when your really examine their home situations,
diet and overall circumstances and begin methods of elimination of
various things, plus applying other assistive ideas there is usually a
slow process of reduced problem effect and with care this generally
allows the child to return to normality.
Once again I am not making any claim to treating anyone, simply
offering a different approach from collected information at the actual
scene, to tailor an intelligent approach to the problem, using applied
commonsense by educating the parent with known assistive methods. It
generally works!
So you might appreciate I do not "treat" anyone and have never made any
such claim.
Following these kinds of situations is extremely interesting.
In doing this kind of work it is entirely obvious that antibiotics can
have incredibly adverse effect.
You might even see where people go on courses of antibiotics and after
a week or three feel that have been substantially helped, but then
after a few more weeks have substantial reversals. This is common!
In a lot of cases I could not believe that people could actually
perceive that the antibiotics were fixing their problem after having
personally been there and had that experience, then being informed how
problematic it actually was, (by an elderly "real doctor") with
supporting the ongoing asthmatic problem.
So I would please request that you do not distort things like the other
donkeys on this site.
To reitterate, "I no treat anyone", and "I no say I cure anyone". got
that!!

Cheers, Merlin.
Bob
2005-11-06 14:53:47 UTC
Post by Merlin
So I would please request that you do not distort things like the other
donkeys on this site.
To reitterate, "I no treat anyone", and "I no say I cure anyone". got
that!!
Cheers, Merlin.
I no say I cure anyone...got it.

Ya gotta start cuttin' back on the Fosters, your Asswizziness.
Merlin
2005-11-07 02:37:14 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by Merlin
So I would please request that you do not distort things like the other
donkeys on this site.
To reitterate, "I no treat anyone", and "I no say I cure anyone". got
that!!
Cheers, Merlin.
I no say I cure anyone...got it.
Ya gotta start cuttin' back on the Fosters, your Asswizziness.
Please give let me have something to enjoy in this life, in the heat
when you are melting there is nothing better than a "coldie".
Good-hay to you, Merlin.
ARoberts
But not Fosters. Emerson's, Wig & Pen, Coopers, Little Creatures?
Merlin
2005-11-07 08:26:33 UTC
G'day Roberts, there is one here called "two dogs" it comes from the
story about the indian child that asked how he got his name! The label
is quite funny!
It started off as a bit of a joke but caught on and became quite
popular.
There are some funny signs on some of the urinals in some of these
hotels, "like re-cycling begins here"! (Please help by maximising
material in the trough)
One place had 40 different beers on tap, it is interesting trying each
one, especially with the larger glasses. As you move along the bar the
stools become lower and there is a wheelbarrow at the end!
I don't recall exactly how it worked!
Cheers chaps, Merlin.
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-07 14:08:45 UTC
Post by Merlin
G'day NSCEO, No offence intended, and I regret having to
correct you,
but as usual you have distorted the fact with the inference
that any
"curing" was achieved in any of my material especially with the
ridulous numbers you refer to. Did you actually attend a
school?
You just type something about "ridulous" numbers, and you ask if
I attended a school? My, my, aren't we testy when tested?

Cure or treated or whatever word you wish to use, you make it
sound like you've found some miracle treatment, which is nothing
more than identifying a persons allergies and then avoiding them.
You must live in some primitive part of the world. Our doctors
have been doing this for years.
Post by Merlin
I know you people have problems with comprehension, and
obviously
believe you are the "super race" but simply no longer needing
medication has no inference of any "cure".
Since asking a question has you ignoring the question completely,
and simply lowering yourself to insults, I ask again. Show proof
of all you claim you've done for all these people.

Maybe in your case you have
Post by Merlin
the inference that you are "cured" but I would suspect that
considering
your history you could easily regress given any minor illness
or immune
depleting effect in an instant.
Like cancer? You can't get more immune depleting than cancer and
six rounds of three different chemo drugs and rituxan and major
doses of prednisone, and yet, I'm breathing better than ever.
Post by Merlin
In that you have had your problems abate you might consider my
suggestion to really be careful.
How kind of you to take a moment out from your lame insults to
express concern. I'm sure you're being genuine, too.
Post by Merlin
I must say I would hate to see you actually intend to make
offence!
I merely asked you to back up what you're saying. You're the one
who obviously did take offense, as suddenly the tone of your
emails to me has gone back to what they were the last time I
asked you to prove what you were posting. I was expecting this
type of knee jerk reaction, so no surprise.
Post by Merlin
[...]
Whatever lingo you wish to use, you're painting yourself as some
type of medical genius, and that's the point you ignore.
Post by Merlin
You are a mischievous little devil aren't you?
With young children when your really examine their home
situations,
diet and overall circumstances and begin methods of elimination of
various things, plus applying other assistive ideas there is
usually a
slow process of reduced problem effect and with care this
generally
allows the child to return to normality.
No duh.
Post by Merlin
Once again I am not making any claim to treating anyone, simply
offering a different approach from collected information at the actual
scene, to tailor an intelligent approach to the problem, using
applied
commonsense by educating the parent with known assistive
methods. It
generally works!
You're offering a different approach? Different than what? It's
no different than anything any docs have been doing here for at
least 30 years that I'm aware of. If Australia hasn't caught up
yet, then I guess in your world, you WOULD be considered a
genius.
Post by Merlin
So you might appreciate I do not "treat" anyone and have never
made any
such claim.
I love how you get hung up on, and put all the attention on one
or two words, as though a smokescreen like that will take focus
off the fact that:
1) you paint yourself as a medical genius who has handled
hundreds of "cases", using a method you dreamed up all on your
own, through trial and error
2) you offer no proof of anything you say
Post by Merlin
Following these kinds of situations is extremely interesting.
In doing this kind of work it is entirely obvious that
antibiotics can
have incredibly adverse effect.
You might even see where people go on courses of antibiotics
and after
a week or three feel that have been substantially helped, but
then
after a few more weeks have substantial reversals. This is
common!
Yes, it is! It is MOST common in cases where asthma has been
caused by bacteria! We've posted this before! The undertreated
bacteria seems to come back with a vengeance! One must treat it
to completely eradicate it in order to avoid this effect! What
part of this are you not understanding???!!
Post by Merlin
In a lot of cases I could not believe that people could
actually
perceive that the antibiotics were fixing their problem after
having
personally been there and had that experience, then being
informed how
problematic it actually was, (by an elderly "real doctor") with
supporting the ongoing asthmatic problem.
So I would please request that you do not distort things like
the other
donkeys on this site.
To reitterate, "I no treat anyone", and "I no say I cure
anyone". got
that!!
Cheers, Merlin.
Got that! You know what else I got?! Merlin must be aussie for
moron!

Cheers you mental midget!
Merlin
2005-11-09 02:54:30 UTC
To NSCEO, well you really are showing your true colours!
Are you the product of an incestuous relationship or something?
If you were walking down the street and someone yelled to you that your
ass was on fire, You would scream abuse and demand proof!
Let us consider an interesting situation for a moment,
Approximately one month ago a shipment of "birds" was received in
Australia which had been sent from Canada.
Some of these birds were found to have disease problems and destroyed,
at least one other was determined to contain H5N1 antibodies, so the
consignment was returned to Canada with a reprimand. No more similar
consignments will be allowed entry.
So give that some thought, location, problem and circumstances,
remembering that this was just an isolated case, a one-off test
detecting a potential problem, it would be interesting to have carried
out some further tests in Canada.

Now let us consider meat chicken farming, we have a type of bird that
is as much as two and a half times the size and weight of a normal bird
at eight weeks.
These meat birds are raised in controlled circumstances, their food
(supposedly) contains non-human type antibiotics.
An examination of tissue shows presence of antibiotic resistant bugs,
this problem is also apparent in the housing for these animals. There
is also presence of other human illness causing bugs in the flesh after
the animals are prepared for distribution.
Any careless food preparation or poor cooking routines are potentially
dangerous.

Once again I am giving no proof, but you are silly enough not to
understand the implications here or that beneficial routines do not
need proof, in any case a great deal of proofs are in fact conjured
figures.
A desperate person seeks and will try anything, in a great many cases
the more ridiculous things provide the best relief. I felt deep
sympathy for you when I learned of your problem and offered a small
idea which has benefitted many, this was even ridiculed without the
donkeys understanding what it was about.

Eighteen months ago a small inter-island ship was sailing in the
Islands to the East of Suva, Fiji.
This ship was an old "cheapy" purchased from some European
organisation, it was approximatly 90 feet in length, diesel driven with
the cabins and associated infrastructure at the rear, the hold was fwd
as is common with a lot of these inter-island vessels. These ships
travel from island to island picking up copra and other materials and
supplying drums of fuel and general cargo including odd vehicles.
The crews that operate them are incredibly efficient. Passengers can
travel as "deck passengers" that is virtually camping on the deck and
hoping it won't rain, or "saloon passengers" that is able to travel
with an undercover element. (like seats in a larger common cabin) But
the heat usually means that saloon passengers spend most of their time
on deck.
There is normally no normal passenger cabin availability.
Some food is available by arrangement, this might be curry and rice
kinds of things, most people carry their own food wrapped in banana
leaves kind of thing, or catch fish from time to time.
Inter-island travel routine is dependent on weather, tides, loading and
unloading times, difficulty getting cargo ashore or aboard, and
mumerous other factors, peripheral reefs sometimes mean lightering with
small boats. This means that a two hundred kilometer trip would
normally be a circuitous experience with no predictable time schedule.
A week or so would be an expected ETA!
So we have a balmy tropican night, not much moon but the star-light
allows good visibility, the ship sailing at probably ten knots, the
captain in his cabin at the rear of the wheelhouse with the experienced
crew controlling the ship.
The "money man" (he collects cash and keeps cargo manifest information)
does a quick walk-around the fwd deck, something is very odd, the ship
seems low in the water, he checks the hold and notices it is
substantially filled with water, he runs quickly to the captains cabin.
A monstrous woman also sees the water and rapidly follows. The
"moneyman" reaches the the captains cabin and yells "Captain there is
water in the hold"!, at about the same time the monstrous woman reaches
the cabin and begins screaming at the captain about her cargo which is
getting wet, she is so busy screaming abuse that she does not realise
what is happening, and there is no way she is going to let the captain
out of the cabin until she has her say!
The "moneyman" turns leaves the upper deck and steps off the normal
deck straight into the water, the front of the ship has already
disappeared, the momentum of the ship still driving what was left above
water forward. The ship lasted a further short period before
disappearing. Total time to sink must have been approximately two
minutes.
The survivors found floating debris and tried to keep afloat. No SOS
message had been sent.
Things were pretty grim, under normal circumstances they might stay
afloat for ten hours or so, land was too far off to swim, so the sharks
would probably come,it really was curtains for them.
Sometime mid-morning a miracle happened when another ship appeared
bearing down on them, so they were rescued.
Under normal circumstances another vessel may not have been in that
area for weeks, and to have passed and seen the survivors was a miracle
in itself, so the rescue was incredibly lucky.
There is a moral to this factual event, "stupid, screaming, abusive,
women that have lost sight of the larger picture and are full of
themselves are dangerous.
Anyone wishing to have an experience of a lifetime, in pristine air and
re-adjust to reality with minimal charge might consider passage on one
of these ships. You won't get shot at or bombed, but expect basic kind
of conditions. (take your own toilet paper) When the ship is loading at
various places you can snorkel on the most immaculate reefs, but do be
careful and don't get hurt! (there may be no assistance)
Many places are island plantations and people are not welcome to land
off these ships. There are reasons for this. You will also learn that
time has no meaning and meet some of the most incredible people
imaginable.
You might even get to see Raymond Burr's Island from a distance.
Nightime is amazing in these places, you will witness irridescence in
the water, brightly glowing fish, other wonderful natural things, but
do beware of snarly women!
Have a Good hay NSCEO.
Cheers, Merlin.
ARoberts
2005-11-09 03:15:52 UTC
Post by Merlin
To NSCEO, well you really are showing your true colours!
Are you the product of an incestuous relationship or something?
If you were walking down the street and someone yelled to you that your
ass was on fire, You would scream abuse and demand proof!
Then you don't have any proof...

<long story in attempt to obscure that lack of proof snipped>
NorthShoreCEO
You've got that right, ARoberts!
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-09 04:04:04 UTC
Post by Merlin
[...]
I'm sorry I couldn't get through this pap knowing I'd get to the
end only to realize you've said nothing but the usual blah blah
blah blah blah.....
Translation: "No, I have no proof of anything I've said here."
Bob
2005-11-09 13:16:47 UTC
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:04:04 -0600, "NorthShoreCEO"
Post by NorthShoreCEO
Post by Merlin
To NSCEO, well you really are showing your true colours!
Are you the product of an incestuous relationship or something?
If you were walking down the street and someone yelled to you
that your
ass was on fire, You would scream abuse and demand proof!
... beware of snarly women!
His pap smears are stained, undifferentiated sells...
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-09 14:49:43 UTC
Post by Merlin
To NSCEO, well you really are showing your true colours!
What is so funny about this, is that I asked you for proof in a
very nice manner, you came back and attacked ME, and when I gave
it back to you, you made the statement that I'm showing my true
colors. The truth is, I just mirror people. You got back
exactly what you put forth.

You're like some of the other nuts who post here - you have two
sets of rules - one for yourself and one for everyone else.
Merlin
2005-11-10 07:06:47 UTC
Well you bunch of ridiculous galahs are still going!
For what it is worth I would not divulge any sensitive information from
any of my files to any of you, I don't find any of you have any worth
whatsoever.
As a matter of fact you deserve each other.
You might show what achievements you have made or help you have given
to anyone posting on this site, apart from derision and ridicule with
which you all quite obviously excel, you are a waste of time.
Why don't you go for a holiday someplace and discover just how liked
you are!
You have all lost sight of purpose.
Cheers, Merlin.
Bob
2005-11-10 14:10:11 UTC
Post by Merlin
Well you bunch of ridiculous galahs are still going!
And your cocka-poo is most certainly up to snuff!
Post by Merlin
For what it is worth I would not divulge any sensitive information from
any of my files to any of you, I don't find any of you have any worth
whatsoever.
For what it's worth, thanks.
Post by Merlin
As a matter of fact you deserve each other.
Now you've crossed over the line.
Post by Merlin
Why don't you go for a holiday someplace and discover just how liked
you are!
Ok, we're coming over to your house.
Post by Merlin
You have all lost sight of purpose.
Where?
Cheers, Merlin.
ARoberts
2005-11-10 15:06:34 UTC
Post by Merlin
Well you bunch of ridiculous galahs are still going!
For what it is worth I would not divulge any sensitive information from
any of my files to any of you, I don't find any of you have any worth
whatsoever.
Then, at this moment, you are contending that you are a practicioner of some
sort who keeps files. Other times you have said that you are not. What are
you pretending today? If credibility has worth, then it is you who has
none.
Post by Merlin
As a matter of fact you deserve each other.
Yes, we do. And at least we will be brief about it.
Post by Merlin
You might show what achievements you have made or help you have given
to anyone posting on this site, apart from derision and ridicule with
which you all quite obviously excel, you are a waste of time.
We just asked you to do that, and you refused. Regarding help on this site:
if you think that your rambling stories about your purported adventures have
provided anthing other than a latter-day Baron Munchausen diversion, you're
deluded. But that's redundant.
Post by Merlin
Why don't you go for a holiday someplace and discover just how liked
you are!
Ah, yes. The "ugly American" theme that recurs in your posts. I've noticed
that you have become less subtle about that bigotry as your posting has
continued.
Post by Merlin
You have all lost sight of purpose.
You mean your purpose: to do some story telling and bragging. We're here
for asthma.
Post by Merlin
Cheers, Merlin.>
Right.
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-10 15:31:27 UTC
Post by Merlin
You might show what achievements you have made or help you have given
to anyone posting on this site, apart from derision and
ridicule with
which you all quite obviously excel
I've been quite polite with you, until you changed the tone of
things because you felt backed into a corner when I asked you for
proof of what you've been claiming. At that point, YOU began
deriding and ridiculing me. You got it right back and now you're
whining? How old are you, five?

, you are a waste of time.
Post by Merlin
Why don't you go for a holiday someplace and discover just how
liked
you are!
One of those "you people" remarks, eh? Talk about true colors
coming out.
Post by Merlin
You have all lost sight of purpose.
Cheers, Merlin.
And you, apparently, have lost your mind.

Cheers!

00doc
2005-11-05 14:27:36 UTC
Post by Merlin
For your information removing a childs problem cause and following
commonsense practical methods works wonders.
With all your experience, may I suggest that you develop a flow chart
of sorts, which will lead the parent through the variable
possibilities associated with what you have encountered. Produce
something Merlin. You're retired, full of life, and full
of...stories! Use them in your upcoming treatise! Possible titles
Merlin's Asthma Mysteries Revealed
The Wizard's Way to keep Atopy at Bay
Try the Wet Tee-Shirt...and open-nip your Airways
G'day Bob! Or should I say Roberino?
Crickey! You are completely off the flim flam. You fail to see that I have
helped millions of people already with my commonsense methods. I can't count
the times I have been minding my own business a bars and just come across
some sheila with small children in the exact same situation as described
above.
Of course, at the time I had just been in the outback having an adventure
that involved a wombat, a joey, and some Indonesian Buddist monks but that
is a story for later and one that I can't repeat in polite company I can
tell you!
But I could tell from my decades of experience and training in engineering
that the problem had to do with ventilations systems. A little all too often
ingmored wisdom and some knowledge that I got from a Batman comic book along
with just a bit of elbow grease fixed the whole thing up.
If it was not for the arrogance of doctors and the flipance of all of so
called organized medicine we would have never had the whole situation int he
first place.
Do ya see what I am driving at now?
Cheers, Merlin
ARoberts
2005-11-05 14:39:06 UTC
Post by 00doc
Post by Merlin
[...]
I do. I do. Thank you for that folksy story. My asthma is just about
cured from reading it. If you could post one about aborigines and their
drinking habits, or something equally irrelevant (and hopelessly long) the
treatment will be complete.

Good one, Doc.
00doc
2005-11-05 14:54:38 UTC
Post by ARoberts
I do. I do. Thank you for that folksy story. My asthma is just about
cured from reading it. If you could post one about aborigines and their
drinking habits, or something equally irrelevant (and hopelessly long)
the treatment will be complete.
Good one, Doc.
Yeah, try as I might I just couldn't get the length up to snuff. I guess I
need more careful observation and practice.
00doc
ARoberts

Good one, Doc.
Merlin
2005-11-06 05:57:25 UTC
G'day Roberts, you are the only one that understands. How is it that
you are so far ahead of this riff-raff intellectually!
I am impressed!
Cheers, Merlin.
NorthShoreCEO
2005-11-04 12:30:36 UTC
Post by Merlin
[...]
All of this leads to an interesting story of a person who feels
he's qualified to treat others but has nothing to back it up.
Based on things you've written, you've worked with thousands of
people and have helped cure them. Surely someone has written
about you along the way. Post some links to articles about you
to prove what you say. We're on the internet, after all, and
anyone can write anything, can't they? If you want to be taken
seriously, I think it's time to back up what you've been posting
here.
Merlin
2005-11-04 02:34:46 UTC
G'day NSCEO, firstly I must compliment your loyalty, but I would point
out that 00 was "jousting" with his post knowing full well there would
be a response, so your character shows as does his.
You would surely be aware that American medical opinions used to be
taken as being reliable, honourable and in humanities best interest,
with integrity.
The "smoking" fiasco and a few other minor events have made any
American medical claims questionable, the breast implant situation was
another lesser case. I am talking from a global perspective.
Aspartame would be another odd one, research costs are beyond most
organisations producing substances here and reliance was placed on
American as follow-on in that they had the technical leadership.
So you might imagine these kinds of things have generated a credibility
circumstance where it is quite apparent that supposedly responsibile
doctors are commonly "bought" with no real concern for any population
or downstream implications.

For your information I have a technical engineering back-ground much of
which has been assocated with airline, aircraft, airport, health,
safety and security for the major part of my life. Your mention of
ongoing learning and years of study are common.
I was posted to various places for various periods and spent thebest
part of ten years outside Australia, some places were pretty rough.
This was mainly in the South-east asia, South-west pacific area.
I have also undertaken short term contracts for varying reasons
including aircraft recovery, parts recovery, small power generator
(1000KVA) station construction and commissioning and repairs, water
desalination, potable water retic, health, and numerous other
associated areas.
Some of this work was on volunteer basis.
With regard to the airport stuff and first-aid, it was a neccessity, I
would draw your attention to passengers standing in tropical situations
waiting and boarding their aircraft. Collapses were common, especially
with older persons. Anxiety, stress, and all the associated problems.
When persons collapse onboard an aircraft it presents a massive
problem, especially with the local laws of that country and the other
people trying to reach their destination, not to mention that persons
luggage. I have no wish to elaborate on this but this generally happens
in a bonded kind of area which is a legal minefield and varies country
to country. Passports are usually stamped (left the country) and if the
person is deceased we are talking big bickies to forward a body!!
Circumstances of death and exact place also become involved.
There are numerous other considerations where minimum safety standards
need to be met and this again can represent a major concern. In most
places if an aircraft accident were to occur, you might consider a
nearby hospital with a one person intensive care capability and a
record of people dying for simple things like even an ingrown toenail
operation.
So this kind of thing tempers decisions on technical matters in some of
these places.
It was common for cowboy pilots to land in "hairy" places for the extra
"buck"! especially during the Vietnam thing, sometimes mishaps
happened, damaged nose gear, bent propeller, stuff like that, so these
kinds of short term contracts were quite lucritive, a couple of
thousand dollars for a couple of days work was pretty good at that
time. But these kinds of jobs often required an extra margin of care!
(camping at the site etc.)
Anyone involved with airplanes would appreciate what "here now, gone
tomorrow" means, and the absolute relief when you get back to normality
after doing one of these type jobs. So a little partying was par for
the course. There was often a presence of military people in these
kinds of places, possibly from every side, so there was always an
element of tension.
The only on-the-spot airplane prangs that I attended were non fatal,
runway overshoot or run-off, wheels not extending kind of stuff.
(although I did remove components from a bad one on one occasion) the
largest of these was a Panam 707. (bent it's back, no fatalities)
When hurricanes happened it often involved a lot of work, my major
interest in these circumstances was Water, Power and watch the crap!
Thankfully they were rare and lasted only a few weeks before being
restored.
Water is the most important thing, no water in a town or city is
disasterous. You have no idea!!
During my involvement with these things I have had some incredible
experiences, met some incredible people, especially the French
"Medicine without Borders" medical people. (they are the absolute most
incredible people I have ever met.)
You would appreciate that disease and lack of water are complimentry,
so repairing a water pumping system or whatever, would inevitably tie
me with medical people in these places, expatriots tend to stay
together.
So I have worked and rubbed shoulders with some of the best, and
discussed progress for a solution to the problem at that time whatever
it may have been. I usually always managed to broach my pet subject
with them also. LOL.
Regarding the asthma interest, it has been ongoing for more than sixty
years, after having problems most of my earlier life I could not
believe the problem could be so easily overcome, and I could not
believe that antibiotics could have such an incredibly adverse effect.
So asking lots of questions to anyone with asthma became a normal
routine. With young children, (as is the case on this first post) the
background was usually common, the generated effect was the same, often
with the child having odd high temperatures and even sometimes having
fits! (coupled with the inability to breathe, real ER stuff!)
When you strike these situations ask "does the problem appear more
often after the child has had fast-food"! So that is often a real
pointer! I must stress this whole exercise is aimed at determination of
the childs real problem or the actual underlying cause.
So that is really part of the reason for becoming involved in
investigation in that area, the other benefit was of course my
familily's.
My engineers licence has lapsed due to no longer directly working in
that industry but I collected a few injuries along the way and a good
case of tinnitus so suits me as things are.
Being retired I now have time to spend more actively with volunteer
work and examining asthmatic circumstances.

Cheers Merlin.
00doc
2005-11-03 19:51:22 UTC
Post by Merlin
G'day 00, I am old enough to have witnessed ridiculous American medical
proffessional doctors declaring on film that "Smoking does not cause
cancer"!!
So much for the proffessionals in America!!
How long ago was that, maybe fifteen as far as I can recall!!
Are you really claiming that credible docs were saying that in 1990?

I think you are old enough that your recall is slipping.

As for the other stuff: When you can name a profession and nation that does
not have a few bad eggs get back to us on it.
00doc
Richard Friedel
2005-11-02 10:02:23 UTC
Dear Dr. Issh,

I just warned about the dangers of getting reflux (GERD) from asthma
drugs and the rebound effect..
I did admit that most people would not say that learning to take a
deep breath might be a cure for asthma. But look at the fact that
Gray's Anatomy speaks of the navel zone being drawn in and drawn upward
for a deep inspiration (like using the hammer in a "try your strength"
feat at a fairground). This is slyly overlooked by doctors and a deep
breath during spirometry is done (according at least to my standard
book on physiology) with a clip on the nose and while sitting. So
asthma treatment is heavily flawed to make drug treatment appear more
scientific by setting a false standard.
To the medical mind drawing in the belly would be "paradox",
because there would seemingly be less space for inhaled air.
Modern research (Dr. Gwen Skloot) infers that if an asthmatic could do
a deep breath (which he/she can't) airway narrowing would be
overcome.
Therefore patiently attempting a deep breath, drawing in the belly as
indicated, and being extremely careful to avoid triggering an attack by
hyperventilation, will not only boost or supercharge the heart to pump
more blood into the lungs but also, it seems, open airways. It is a
question of practice makes perfect.
Relying on this reasoning, trying to take a deep breathing for
prolonged periods in an attack of asthma would obviously maltreat or
sort of bruise the lung tissue. Such damage can be documented at a
cellular level and thus make exclusively drug treatment seem the
obvious approach.
This training would not be relevant for toddlers. Regards, Richard
Friedel