source of my breathing problems
Jason
2010-09-29 20:51:10 UTC
I have had breathing problems since 2007. I have had numerous tests
including two pulmonary function tests and tests to measure my blood pH
level. High or Low levels of blood pH can cause breathing problems (eg.
respiratory compensation for metabolic alkalosis). The tests indicated
that I do not have asthma or high or low levels of blood pH.

One pulmonary doctor believed that anxiety was the cause of my breathing
problems. I had a sleep study test and my O2 level went down to 90 while I
was sleeping. I do not snore. Normal scores for 02 for a person that does
not have breathing problems is 97, 98, 99 or 100. In other words, I don't
breath normal when sleeping so that rules out anxiety. I had my blood
levels of anxiety hormones (eg norepinephrine) and those blood tests
showed that I had normal levels of anxiety hormones.

I finally found out the source of my breathing problems.

A cardiologist arranged for me to have a Transthoracic Echocardiogram exam
which is a unique type of ultrasound machine. The results indicated that I
have diastolic dysfunction which can cause shortness of breath (dyspnea).
writer
2010-10-06 08:32:18 UTC
Post by Jason
[...]
An another issue that can add to breathing problem is thyroid
disease. I would have a blood test done to be sure.

Laura Bell
Jason
2010-10-06 17:55:47 UTC
Post by Jason
have diastolic dysfunction which can cause shortness of breath (dyspnea).
An another issue that can add to breathing problem is thyroid
disease. I would have a blood test done to be sure.
Laura Bell
Laura,
Thanks--I have a physical exam coming up in January--I will ask my doctor
to check my thyroid hormones during the blood and urine tests.

There are so many different causes of breathing problems.

One of the doctors told me that I don't have any breathing problems since
the pulmonary function tests results came out normal. That showed me that
some doctors know much less than they think they know. He was 100%
incorrect.

The best doctor that you will ever have is the doctor that lives inside of
you. In other words, we have to become experts related to our own health.

Thanks again,
jason