relieving symptoms
netmon66
2011-02-17 21:14:28 UTC
My daughter has been diagnosed with asthma, and is on a puffer - not
the kinda for emergency relief but more for longer term relief.
Meanwhile, she feels like her airway is closing, and the only thing
that relieves this discomfort is Benadryl -- the xtra-strength night-
time dose. The half-strength daytime dose doesn't help. Neither do
Claritin or other anti-histamines. I wondering what ingredients in
Benadryl -- or what capability that Benadryl has - is making such a
big difference. What does Benadryl do that Reactin, Claritin, Advil,
etc. don't do?

Thanks.
pavane
2011-02-17 21:42:23 UTC
"netmon66" <***@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ff156503-bbeb-491e-91f1-***@c10g2000vbv.googlegroups.com...
| My daughter has been diagnosed with asthma, and is on a puffer - not
| the kinda for emergency relief but more for longer term relief.
| Meanwhile, she feels like her airway is closing, and the only thing
| that relieves this discomfort is Benadryl -- the xtra-strength night-
| time dose. The half-strength daytime dose doesn't help. Neither do
| Claritin or other anti-histamines. I wondering what ingredients in
| Benadryl -- or what capability that Benadryl has - is making such a
| big difference. What does Benadryl do that Reactin, Claritin, Advil,
| etc. don't do?
|
| Thanks.

In the simplest of terms, it *works*. Benadryl is one of the first
standardly marketed anti-histamines and for many of us (definitely
for me) it is the only one that is quickly effective. If you are ever
seen in an emergency room for an allergic or anaphylactic reaction
the chances are that the first two medications you will receive are
Benadryl and epinephrine. Suggestion 1: Be thankful that such an
effective medication is available so readily and so cheaply.
Suggestion 2: If you haven't, get your daughter to a good allergist
or pulmonologist, or a different one if you have, and get a handle
on this "mystery illness." There aren't too many medical mysteries
these days. Good luck.

pavane
Yevgen Barsukov
2011-02-18 16:28:41 UTC
Post by netmon66
My daughter has been diagnosed with asthma, and is on a puffer - not
the kinda for emergency relief but more for longer term relief.
Meanwhile, she feels like her airway is closing, and the only thing
that relieves this discomfort is Benadryl -- the xtra-strength night-
time dose.
I had a case of such worsening of symptoms in the evening for
my niece and only when she was in grandmas old house. This was likely
some allergen located in the house such as mold spores.
While you should certainly try to investigate what is the cause of
this aggravation,
but you might try in addition to benadryl to do something that
gradually
increases the diameter of smaller bronchs and reduces breathing
constriction
inherently such as Strelnikova exercise. It did help my niece to
do such exercise before going to sleep (not to mention my daughter who
was able to get rid of asthma all together by doing it regularly).
It is easy to learn by yourself, and you can find materials in English
here:
html://sudy_zhenja.tripod.com/strelnikova_exercises.htm

Regards,
Yevgen

--
Tune in to "Strange Drawing of the Day" buzz:
http://www.google.com/profiles/100679771837661030957#buzz
netmon66
2011-02-18 16:52:55 UTC
Post by Yevgen Barsukov
Post by netmon66
[...]
Thank you, Yevgen, for suggesting the exercise. I will try to get my
daughter to try it.
She isn't only allergic to an allergen in one place - she has lived in
three different
environments in the past couple of years, and the problem just keeps
getting
worse.